Nowadays many vapers tend to lean towards convenience over clouds. Disposable vapes have become very popular amongst new vapers and veteran vapers for the simple fact that they are convenient and easy to use. As the Vaping Industry continues to face many challenges with regulations and increased taxes, how will you choose to continue vaping? With the pros of disposables being pretty clear, what are the drawbacks to using disposable vapes? Is a pod vape system a better alternative? Let's take a look at the pros and cons of each vape system to help you decide what method will work best for you as the industry moves forward.
Disposable vapes are all inclusive vaping devices that are designed to be used once and then thrown away. These devices are presented in an easy-to-use system which requires little to no education for someone to enjoy. Disposables are draw activated, allowing the user to simply puff on the device to activate. Most disposables these days are marketed as 2000 to 6000 puffs per device. This means that the amount of vape juice, the resistance of the coil, and the battery life are designed to last for the designated number of puffs before one of the three components fails. The higher puff count devices are usually rechargeable, so it is likely that the vape juice inside will run out before the battery dies completely. Once the disposable vape is finished, it is disposed of and cannot be refilled or reused.
Pros of using a disposable vape:
- Convenience: Disposable vapes require no user knowledge and offer the ultimate convenience. Simply puff and go!
- Size and Shape: Disposable vapes are generally small, allowing them to easily fit inside a pocket or purse. The shape of these devices are often fun, comfortable, and/or compact.
- Availability: Do to the simplicity of these devices they can now be purchased at many convenient stores, smoke shops, and headshops.
- Flavor: Majority of disposable vapes are manufactured in China from start to finish. These manufacturers have found a way to increase the overall sweetness of the vape juice inside, bringing the flavor of the vapor to new heights.
Cons of using a disposable vape:
- Waste: Each disposable vape contains a lithium battery and small electronic components housed inside of plastic. All of this is thrown out every time a disposable vape is finished or malfunctions.
- Not Efficient: With some disposable vapes, the battery fails or dies before all of the vape juice inside is used up. This means you miss out on some of that valuable nicotine infused goodness.
- Cost: Disposable vapes are affordable when comparing to the price of nasty analog cigarettes. But if you compare price per juice volume of the disposables to the price of a 30ml bottle of salt nic vape juice, it may seem more pricey than you think.
- Nicotine Strength Options: While there are some options for lower nic, or zero nic, disposables; majority of these devices come in 5% (50mg/ml) nicotine strength.
- No Battery Life or Juice Indicator: Majority of disposables don't have any way to tell how much liquid is left inside, or how much battery life is remaining. This can be an issue if you don't carry a backup.
Pod Vape Systems:
Pod Vape Systems are vaping devices that use a fillable and replaceable pod style atomizer paired with a battery device. These systems are similar to disposables in size, shape, and functionality; typically incorporating a draw activation, rechargeable battery, mouth-to-lung (MTL) style coil, and fixed or adjustable airflow. These systems have the added convenience of having the ability to change pods on the fly, allowing the user to change flavors. Pod systems may also feature a battery life indicator and/or a single button that can turn off the device completely. These vaping devices can use salt nic vape juice, but can also use regular vape juice for low nicotine or no nicotine users.
Pros of using a pod vape system:
- Convenience: Pod vape systems require one additional step over disposables, filling the pod with vape juice. Aside from that they are just as convenient.
- Size and Shape: Pod vape systems are generally small, allowing them to easily fit inside a pocket or purse. The shape of these devices are often fun, comfortable, and/or compact.
- Refillable and Reusable: Most pods used with pod systems can be refilled multiple times before needing to be replaced. The pod device itself however, can last years before it no longer functions or the internal battery will no longer hold a charge.
- Minimal Waste: When it's time to change your pod you are only throwing out the pod; which contains a coil, cotton, and a small amount of plastic.
- Overall Cost: It can cost the user anywhere from $14 to $18 for a 30ml bottle of salt nic vape juice, whereas it may cost $16 to $30 for a disposable containing 5ml to 12ml of salt nic vape juice. You do the math based on your consumption rate.
- Flavor Selection: Pod systems do not come with vape juice, and therefor have a HUGE selection of brands and flavors for the user to choose from.
- Battery Life and Juice Indicator: Pod systems feature a clear pod so that the user can see the juice level when filling. When the pod is placed in the device, a small amount of the pod is exposed from the top, allowing the user to see the amount of liquid remaining while in use. These devices also may feature a battery life indicator to show how much juice (battery life) is left before needing to be recharged.
- Nicotine Strength Options: Since these devices do not come with vape juice; you can choose to use 5% or 3% nic salt vape juice, 0.6% or 0.3% freebase vape juice, or nicotine-free vape juice.
Cons of using a pod vape system:
- Initial Cost: Getting started with a pod vape system will cost you a little more initially. Pod systems can range anywhere from $15 to $40 for most starter kits. However, this is a one-time up front cost to huge saving in the future.
- Finding a Flavor: With a wide range of flavor options available, it can sometimes be overwhelming trying to find that one special flavor. If you are a regular disposable user, you may find the Naked 100 MAX line to be the most suitable substitute for the flavors you are used to.
- Availability: Pod vape systems can be purchased at vape shops and some smoke shops, but you probably won't find them at convenient stores.
- Pod Capacity: Since pod systems are refillable, the pod itself usually holds 2ml to 6ml of e-liquid. This may not be enough to last some user the whole day, so a refill or spare pod may be necessary.
This article was written to help vapers choose the system that works best for them, their bank account, and their time. Both systems are great options; depending on how much you vape, where you buy your vape gear, what state or city you live in, and how much nicotine you require.
For vapers in states or cities with taxes on anything containing nicotine: remember that you only pay tax on the liquid! The tax on a bottle of vape juice is much less than on the equivalent amount of disposables.