What is a squonk device?
A squonk device, also referred to as a bottom feeding or bf mod, is one that allows the user to pump e juice into the atomizer from the bottom without the hassles and inconveniences of traditional dripping. These vaping devices have the ability to do this via an internal juice bottle that can hold a significant amount of e liquid, which feeds from the bottom through a feed tube. Squonk devices are designed to be a more convenient model of the standard dripping setup (i.e. VW/VV mod and RDA).
The anatomy of a squonk device and squonk RDA is beyond simple. A squonk setup starts with an atomizer which contains a bottom feeding center pin capable of allowing liquid to pass through the positive pin to the build deck. The RDA is threaded into the squonk device which also has a feeding positive pin to mirror the pin on the RDA. A feed tube then connects the device's pin to the e liquid bottle typically located beneath the 510 connector. Most of these devices allow users to conveniently change out batteries and bottles without hassle. There will also be an area where the outer casing of the mod subsides, so that the silicone bottle juice reservoir is exposed for you to squeeze to feed the RDA.
How does it work?
When your RDA becomes dry, and you are ready to re-juice your cotton, give a light squeeze and this will draw liquid straight from the internal bottle into the RDA. The air pressure in the bottle pushes the e juice from the internal reservoir, through the tube in the 510 connection and up into the atomizer, replenishing your cotton and tank.
Benefits of squonking:
- Squeeze bottle to refill atomizer; simple and no hassle/effortless
- Extra reservoir- eliminating the need for extra e liquid if you are out for an extended period of time. (You won’t have to refill your vape tank as often) This will also save you time.
Downsides of squonking:
- Can be annoying when you are ready to change flavors, as the e juice tends to stick to the bottle and pipeline
- Longer to clean because of having to clean out the silicone squonk bottle and disassemble more parts.
- Most compatible squonk atomizers are rebuildables and require the user to build or install their own coils. Limited selection for squonk sub-ohm tanks.
Squonk mod brands to be aware of:
Squonk RDA brands to be aware of:
- Refill bottles 30 ml $10.99
- The silicone refill bottles are great for easy refilling without leakage. Simply take your atomizer off of your vape device and screw on the refill bottle accurately and squeeze.
- Threaded squonk cap $8.99
- These caps are a base that act as the cap for your e-juice bottle with a threaded top to avoid leakage. To use this accessory, simply remove the cap from your favorite e-liquid bottle and replace it with the cap. Once the the cap is secured, you can use it to fill the squonk bottle in your squonk mod or your squonk RDA.
- Extra squonk bottles 7 ml $6.99
- These silicone squonk bottles utilize an air release valve for a quick and smooth refill. Be sure to find the particular squonk bottles that correspond with your squonk mod.
Shop with VaporDNA online, or visit one of our two retail locations in Southern California! If you need assistance making a choice, please feel free to contact us using the contact form and we'd be happy to help! We are excited to have the opportunity to be your one stop shop for all your vaping and electronic cigarette needs.
By: Brittany Hale
Brittany Hale was born and raised in Torrance, CA and has a bachelor’s in Journalism from Hawai’i Pacific University. She has been vaping since 2016 and has loved the vape culture since it has benefitted her in many ways. Her enjoyment inspired her to continue to learn about the ins and outs of the industry. She then pursued her passion for writing by combining it with her enthusiasm for vaping by joining VaporDNA’s content team.